Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Christina's videos shed light on her exterior world

Christina wrote me about how seeing herself on a home video changed her perception of herself. Christina and her family were having a family picnic and had invited family friends and neighbours too. They went to a local park and were playing ball with the kids, throwing the Frisbee and generally having a lot of fun. Christina's husband had been filming some of the fun and then put the camera down on the picnic table and forgot to turn it off. They ended up with a tape full of inpromtu video.

Christina said that she had no idea how expressive she was until she watched the video. She was incredulous as she watched herself laughing, joking around and generally having fun so easily. She had an easy going look of openness on her face almost the whole time the camera was filming them.

Christina said that she feels more serious on the inside, but her behaviour obviously doesn't follow that feeling. She asked her husband, children and friends about how they perceive her mood in general, and they all said that she was pretty happy and smiley most of the time. After hearing this Christina decided to reevaluate how she feels about herself. She doesn't know why she felt serious when she clearly was not, but she feels expanded by watching that video.

I don't believe in coincidences and to me it is obvious that the universe wanted Christina to see how she appears on the outside. I have heard about this phenomenon before, of acting one way and feeling another, but this is a wonderful example of how seeing yourself as others do can change your life for the better.

As children, we pick up a lot of mannerisms and belief systems from our extended family, but as we mature we replace those with our own to a greater or lesser extent. Christina is obviously enjoying her life a lot and does show it on the outside. The fact that she felt more serious in her interior world may be due to that programming from her youth. Whatever the reason for Christina's incorrect perception of herself, she can now reintegrate her interior world with her exterior one.

I had a very similar thing happen to me on a smaller scale last week. We were sitting in a restaurant waiting for our take-out food and there was a mirror across from me. As I was talking with my family I could see the expressions on my face over and over. I had no idea that I smiled so much or was so expressive either or that I made eye contact so often with them all. I was pleasantly surprised with my natural reactions.

Christina is lucky to be living her life so fully. I have heard many people say: Behaviour is everything. I am inclined to agree.

Peace and love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to all!

Please feel free to make comments and ask questions.
I will respond to you as soon as I can.

You can also reach me at thewayislove@gmail.com.

Have a great day!